Sunday, December 24, 2017

A Few of Our Favorite Things

I love Christmas. Wait- scratch that. I LOOOOOOOOVE Christmas! And I'm a sucker for festive trees and mantles. Turns out I'm in good company.
I am over-the-top excited to share "a few of our favorite things" as contributed by some kindred spirits that like to deck the halls as much as I do. From traditional to theme to sentimental, these friends know how to create the joy in decorating for Christmas!
I love the magic of this snow tree and the cozy fireplace by Katie Imler.  If you need decorating help, she is your answer, whatever the season!
 Part of the fun of writing this blog was categorizing and naming my contributors' creations. Check out these fun tree and mantle combos, along with some sentimental and traditional decor.
Neutral and Nice, right?  Gray is the official "go to" now and this gray and white light tree looks perfect with the family stockings.

The farmhouse vintage looking tree with mittens and ice skates along with the snowflake decked fireplace fairly shouts out that Christmas is "Snow Much Fun"!
Who doesn't enjoy a good theme tree? Starting with the top left and going clockwise, I came up with a few monikers for these themes with personality galore: "Superheroes & Santas"- I MARVEL at the cute ornaments (see what I did there?); "Holiday Hunting"- because an authentic deer antler topper is THE most original topper I've seen; "Peacocks & Presents"- I had to represent my favorite animal and blog inspiration, of course!; "Woodland Winter Wonderland"- where foxes and hedgehogs can't possibly be any more festive.
Seasonal Sentiments- I wish you could read all of the comments made about why these decorators choose to display these pieces year after year. Nativities crafted by friends and family, ornaments passed down from generation to generation, and special remembrances of epic family history were all part of the stories.
Deck the mantles with boughs of holly...or stockings, porcelain, banners, lanterns, lights... if it's important to you, then it's fair game!
Kid-tastic!  These made me smile. Snowman glitter hat on top- why not? When the kids get into it, it's win-win for sure!
Terrifically Traditional- Angels and stars are by far the most popular and traditional tree decorations. Not to mention being completely covered with lights and family-made sparkle and shine hanging from every branch.
Gloriously Gold- Glittering gold with accents and white lights was the runner up for most popular color for theme trees. It's just so classy.  I love how these families keep it comforting and welcoming by staging teddy bears and reindeer underneath.
Rosy Red Ribbons- The first place winner for color theme choice was the always bright and cheerful holiday RED! When I look at these crimson colored trees overflowing with lights and ornaments, my holiday spirit kicks up a notch. You know you've done something right with the kids have so embraced the decorating traditions that they simply have to see their classics on the tree every year! 
As I read the comments and stories these friends posted with their photos, I was struck by a recurring theme. The words "family", "special", "favorite", and "love" were repeated over and over again. Is it any wonder that so many consider this season the most wonderful time of the year? When our focus is on what brings us satisfaction and happiness, and we reflect on the people and experiences that fulfill us, we feel the joy that is meant to be part of our daily lives. That sense of peace and well-being we all long for is such a gift! I'm so thankful for a season built around celebrating the greatest gift of all- the love of my Savior. After the special tree comes down and the precious ornaments are packed away, my hope is that everyone continues to experience that love deep in their heart the whole year through. That blessing is truly MY favorite thing!

Merry Christmas! Thanks for being part of YOU CREATE THE JOY in 2017.  I am looking forward to finding more inspiration and sharing more ideas in 2018.
All aboard the Polar Express!  
I am grateful to these friends for their shared photos: Katie Imler, Kari Salsman, Renee Pace, Cassandra Juliano, Lindsay Ahart, Jennifer Hees, LaDonna Beckmeyer, Angela Wilson, Debbie English, Becky Coppock, Jessica Goss, Jennifer Wrye, Kathy Willingham, Haley Wood, Candace Bauer, Gina Atkinson, Meghan Opie,  Jenny Imler, Kris Harwood and Sandy Atwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment