Saturday, March 19, 2016

Do the Thing Only You Can Do-Experience Freedom

There really is something to this whole freedom in your forties thing. It's like suddenly I'm not so worried about what other people think anymore. I know what I'm good at and I can own that. The pressure I used to put on myself to meet unrealistic standards and measures (real or perceived) has fallen by the wayside where it belongs.
It's not just about letting go. I used to think by this point in my life I'd have it all figured out and have perfected THE career of my choice with single-minded focus. But guess what? I continue to discover horizons to expand and a depth to my calling I never knew was there. IT'S NOT ABOUT BEING PERFECT. It's about opening yourself up, sharing your gifts, and being available to do this thing called life with abandon.
Read the chapter "Run Your Race" in For the Love by Jen Hatmaker for further inspiration to DO YOUR THING.


<<Order "For the Love">>
Personal testimonial here. I've known for a long time that I am meant to be an encourager to kids. A huge part of being successful as a teacher is helping kids believe in themselves and recognizing even the smallest steps of improvement on their way to mastery.  Bolstering their courage to try something new or persevere in the face of challenges happens on a daily basis in my classroom. It's part of my job. I'm paid to do it. And I love it.
But my calling to encourage is not limited to the way I earn my living. Through an awakening process involving my own disillusionment and soul searching, I have realized that there is immense joy in being vulnerable and taking risks to go deeper in my calling and branch out of my comfort zone to reach a place of peace and fulfillment that glorifies the Father.
This desire I have to encourage and inspire others to be their best selves is not limited to the children in my classroom. What a blessing and source of personal happiness it has been to me to discover new ways to encourage the adults in my life as well. Why did I not see these other opportunities for me to use my gifts before turning forty?  I'm not sure. I think maybe it took the earth-shattering, mind-numbing, stress-ridden, emotional turmoil, and the dark disillusionment of the worst year in my teaching career for my eyes to be opened to a bigger purpose and personal vision for my life. Without the crash and burn, there is no revitalization.  God wants to redeem the ruins of what you perceive as failure and build something stronger with a greater impact in its place.
If you feel forsaken in that spot of being completely disheartened or disenfranchised,  I want to share with you that it is possible to embrace the epic letdown of your life (whatever aspect that might be) with the hope that greater good is in store. Keep the faith. What the enemy of your soul means to use to destroy you, God means to use for GOOD. Your good. The good of those around you. Even the good for others you have yet to meet.
Realizing that my love of writing and desire to help others discover their creativity combined with the gift of encouragement, could find a voice in a new way was a huge force in motivating me to write a blog. The temptation of comparing myself to other writers I've admired and finding myself lacking is something I have previously succumbed to and let stifle me. It had to be let go. Being vulnerable and sharing my imperfections is risky.  But since starting to blog, every time someone tells me that they have been uplifted or inspired by a post, I am reminded that it's not about my insecurities. It's about giving it all and being real for the greater good. I have a fear of public speaking in front of adults, but when considering my personal vision of empowering and encouraging my fellow teachers, I decided it was time to abandon my insecurity and replace it with an opportunity to give a workshop of what fuels my passion to be a teacher. Feeling in over my head is something I've previously avoided at all costs. That fear had to be surrendered and faith that bravery would be found when it was needed won the day. When I read another teacher's comments after the workshop about how excited they are as they now strengthen their connections with their students and families or hear their stories about the positive results of trying new strategies we've brainstormed together,  I am reminded it's not about my fears. It's about sharing life lessons for the benefit of others and working together for the good of strengthening our relationships professionally and personally.
Whether you have reached your forties or not, you can decide to let go of unrealistic expectations or pressure from the perceptions of others. It's time to own what you are good at. This thing that is your gift has new ways to be practiced and other venues in which it may be shared. I pray that what you previously perceived as a setback, can be recognized as the new opportunity that it really is. God can use it to grow new branches on your tree of influence and ability to do good. Whatever your thing is, do it with confidence because you are meant to do it, and you are the only one that can do it like you! You'll never know the feeling of floating in overwhelming freedom and abandon until you let the waves of truth crash over you and allow yourself to be in over your head.
I love "In Over My Head" for the encouragement to abandon and trust and use these lyrics in my blog. Take a listen below.


<<Watch "In Over My Head" on YouTube>>

God's ability to use everything that is consecrated to Him for your good and the good of others in your life is waiting to be embraced. Be encouraged today! You are not perfect, but you are available and THAT IS WHAT DELIGHTS HIM. Adapt your gift to share with the people in your life, execute your gift with the gratitude that God will use it to bless others, and enjoy the fulfillment of moving away from the comfortable shore and being in the ocean of possibilities... beautifully in over your head. -In Over My Head//Bethel Music

2 comments: