Friday, March 25, 2016

Why I Traded Baskets and Bunnies for Peace and Promise

We've all had a moment sometime in our lives when we realized the main thing was no longer the main thing. As a Christian, I have always testified to the unequivocal importance of Easter morn. But two years ago, I became convicted about how fluffy and shallow my observance of the Resurrection had become. I questioned how really spiritually impacted my kids were by coloring eggs and filling baskets and wearing new carefully coordinated outfits to church. Those things are not wrong, (I do love me a good Easter egg hunt), but unfortunately I was putting way too much emphasis on the superficial and not enough on the significant. Knowing my limited amount of time and resources (did you know you can run yourself ragged keeping up with it all?),
I began evaluating my priorities... and found them to be a little skewed.

My husband Mike came up with an awesome idea. He began a tradition of serving the Seder meal (Passover) to our family as a way to illustrate the significance and fulfillment of Jesus' death and resurrection in a visual and tangible way. And our Easter has never been the same.

Not being Jewish, I needed some education on the importance of this tradition. God's chosen people observed a very special annual remembrance of their deliverance from slavery in Egypt. The serving of bitter herbs and saltwater reminded them of the travesty and tears of bondage. As Mike explains their horrible slavery and offers the boys a taste of the herbs dipped in the saltwater, I am reminded of how enslaved my heart has been when mired in hurts, habits, and hangups that feel a lot like chains.  Chains that need to be broken for me to experience freedom of the soul. When he talks about the pure and unblemished lamb they ate at their table, my thoughts go to the beautiful and sinless life of Christ, His perfect example of love, and His ultimate sacrifice. Every time my husband explains that the lamb was the centerpiece of the meal and how its head was purposely adorned with the semblance of a crown, tears come to my eyes because I can visualize the Lamb of God with His undeserved crown of thorns harshly pushed into His head, in pain as He sheds His holy blood to forgive my unholiness. Thankfully, this is not where the symbolism ends. One of my favorite parts of the tradition is when Mike hides the three pieces of unleavened bread in white napkins and my own heart stirs with the anticipation and excitement that comes from knowing that although Jesus' body was hidden in the grave wrapped in burial cloths, HE DID NOT STAY THERE. Because He was resurrected and conquered death, He breathes new life into my soul here and now and forevermore.
Does this sound really somber and other-worldly? It's not. Rest assured, the E boys are going to ask their own brand of questions about somewhat strange aspects of the rituals that have a tendency to lead down rabbit trails. There is laughter as we realize that some of our modern substitutions for the traditional meal are a far cry from the real thing- we use a large meat bone because I just can't bring myself to cook a lamb!  There is a kerfuffle at the end when they all clamor for the last drink from the fancy goblet of grape juice. I've yet to see any halos around our heads as we sit in the darkness with only candles for light on the coffee table elbowing each other to see who gets the most comfortable ottoman and who has to settle for pillows as their seats. Just keeping it real here, folks.

But the joy that has been created by exploring this celebration on a deeper level has undoubtly enriched our lives. I can't adequately express the peace and happiness in this mama's heart when I see my boys gathered around a little table filled with symbols of promised deliverance and salvation through the lens of history and hope. And when I see the evidence of new spiritual understanding dawning in their hearts and minds,  I HAVE NO REGRETS about not spending an inordinate amount of time shopping for everyone's favorite candy to fill plastic eggs or preference of chocolate bunnies. The exchange of connecting the people I love the most in the whole world with our compassionate Christ instead of the pressure of perfectly personalized Easter baskets is a trade I will gladly make. Every time.

I welcome your comments about how your family keeps the main thing as the main thing when celebrating the Resurrection.




No comments:

Post a Comment