Saturday, October 7, 2017

Create and Appreciate

I have a new mantra these days...'create and appreciate'. I've come to realize that the level of satisfaction and fulfillment I feel in my life is directly proportional to the amount of creativity I am engaged in. When I feel a cloud of gloom hanging over my head, it's almost always because I haven't been exercising my creativity often enough or in a meaningful way. It doesn't have to be a huge project. Just making something that I can sense made a difference to someone else is all it takes to invigorate and refresh my outlook.

Similarly, when I start to feel jaded or sorry for myself because my life isn't perfect, (why do I still have that ridiculous expectation?),  I can almost bet it is because I haven't spent an appropriate amount of time reflecting on my blessings and showing appreciation for people that enrich my life. The truth is that all around us there are people that contribute to our ability to function and enjoy living, and it behooves us to recognize them and honor them for the role they play in blessing us.

Know what's really amazing? When I get to create and appreciate at the same time! (Hence the post title!) It's like a megaboost of energy to the spirit. I really believe that is how we human beings are designed. That we would be lifted up when we lift up others.  I'd like to take this opportunity to share my latest spirit boost in hopes that it triggers an idea to help when you are facing dreary doldrums or the get invited to the inevitable pity party that sneaks up on the best of us.


Chalkboard art is always in season. My sister
rocks at artistic writing! Add in some
artificial apples, pinecones, and berries...
and a theme is born. 
Like many churches, the church I attend observes October as Pastor Appreciation Month. One of the things we like to do is set up a display to collect notes, cards, and gifts that church members offer to each leader as tokens of their gratefulness for the love, support, and time these pastors devote to their congregation.  It needs to be eye-catching and functional so it can serve as a reminder each Sunday of our commitment to recognize these special people for their impact and encourage them in word and deed so they are strengthened and validated in their calling. Setting up the display with my PCM (Partner in Chaos Management) husband Mike and my best friend Renee (who also happens to be my sister) helped me realize the vision of creating, while the appreciating attitude came from expressing my gratitude in a tangible way. It's a powerful duo I'm telling you!

If you read my blog very much you know I'm a big fan of before and after pics, so no surprise that I'll be sharing those! I think the reason why I love transformation and decor so much is because I like to feel that I'm adding beauty to the world, not taking away from it, you know?
BEFORE- We start with a nice table and signage for the event.
Then we head to our storage unit and garage for all things rustic
and autumn!
AFTER- I get all the fall feels looking at this! 
Makes you want to break out the apple cider and a warm blanket, yeah?

Each pastor has a container for cards/gifts.  The large tin is to hold
the notecards and pens so people can write their messages on site.
Mixing materials like fabric, tin, wood, and flowers makes it interesting.

Doesn't this look cozy? Renee found these
wool scarves at after season prices last year
and nabbed them up. They work perfect with
our colors and contrast nicely with the wood
and metal.


Mums should be declared the official flower of fall, am I right?
 We used crocks, apple baskets, and wooden crates as our
planters (Mike is a MASTER at auction finds like these)
because terracotta uniformity is boring. Variety is
the spice of life!  

Obviously, the part that makes this all worth while is being able to give back in a small way to some people I greatly respect and admire.  I'm of the opinion that if you limit yourself to the Thanksgiving holiday to be grateful for your blessings, you have short-changed yourself on living abundantly the rest of the year.  Others have missed out on some vital encouragement that could have inspired them had you passed it on. The way you create and appreciate doesn't have to be decorating or volunteering at your church (although I highly recommend it).  You add to the beauty of the world in your own way. And when you do, expect a spirit boost that makes you glad you did. I still believe you create the joy that makes your life better!
  


No comments:

Post a Comment