Sunday, August 13, 2017

Free to Teach What Matters Most

"I don't know how you do it."

Seems like I've been told this about a thousand times! This is often the reaction I get from people in other professions when they find out I'm an elementary teacher. I always laugh at that and tell them I'm never bored. I mean, the stories I have courtesy of my experiences in the classroom are, well- you can't make that stuff up. That's just working with kids, right? But I can't leave it at that;  I immediately launch into my "rewarding calling" explanation because I. LOVE. TEACHING.
There's so much joy and fullfillment in this calling. It's more than a job, it's my mission. It's the way I choose to make a difference in the world and share God's love. I know many of my fellow teachers in the faith have that same desire. And the best part? We don't have to only teach in a Christian school to be able to share what matters most with our students.
A few times I've heard comments from Christian friends wondering how I can teach in a public school without feeling limited or censored in my faith. If you approach it from a deficit mindset about what you can't do or say, I suppose it could feel very restrictive. I choose to view it from the perspective of what I am free to do and how I can creatively seek out ways to share the abundant life with my students and colleagues. That mindset leads me to embrace specific opportunites to carry out my mission to impact others on a daily basis. Here are just a few of those freedoms I'm privileged to share:

1) Free to show acceptance
Throughout the entire school year we have a chance to cultivate the spirit of acceptance of others as we build community in the classroom. By constantly valuing the role each student has as a learner and contributor and by encouraging empathy, we are living out the example of what it means to an integral part of Christ's kingdom. He accepts us as we are and we belong to Him. This belonging and connectedness is a powerful need we all share and our Father delights in seeing this fulfilled as we lead our students in cooperating, collaborating, serving one another, and treating others as we would like to be treated. Each class member is accepted- just as we have experienced the ultimate acceptance as heirs with Christ.
2) Free to extend grace and mercy
How many times have I needed Jesus to wipe the slate clean so I could start over? Too many to count. As His followers, we rejoice in His mercies being new each day. As teachers, we have the opportunity to extend grace to our students each day. Kids are going to make mistakes. They are going to misbehave. They are going to make poor choices (just as we all do).  We get to communicate the power of the grace and mercy of God's love when we let them have a clean slate each morning. Because of our forgiveness experience, we know how to let go of grudges. To allow our students to learn from their mistakes. To show them that while we may not be able to save them from natural consequences, we can love them unconditionally and offer second chances because of the beautiful gift of grace showered on us daily by a loving Savior.
3) Free to celebrate our place in His creation
Our students, these special human beings entrusted to our care for nine months of the year, were created by His will and for His glory to worship Him. Each one is uniquely gifted to live a life that praises Jesus. One of the things that excites me the most as a teacher is being on the journey with students as they discover their gifts and abilities. Sometimes kids have challenges that make that discovery hard or become discouraged along the way. They need the person they spend the most waking hours with during the week (that would be their teacher!) to resource them, guide them, hold them accountable, and inspire them to claim their potential. They need to develop their skills and talents and unleash their creativity as they realize how they make this world a better place. God has blessed us to be an influential force in helping them claim their place and purpose in this life- the ultimate worship of pleasing their Creator! What an extreme joy to be part of the discovery journey and celebrate the becoming as they grow.
As Christ followers, we have a deeply embedded desire for our students to experience the peace and love of a life lived for Him. This year, my hope is that we all exercise our freedom to let our daily teaching lives- our routine decisions, our attitudes and mindsets, our words of correction and instruction, our calling-  be the means of translating the love of God for His children and helping them grasp and keep close to their hearts what matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment