Thursday, October 6, 2016

Creating Classroom Climate Part 2- Set the Stage with an Open House

Class list is updated- check.
Classroom is decorated- check.
Now it's time to welcome the students and their families with open arms at open house!  This will just be a short little post, but the key things I want to incorporate to set the stage for the year include:


*Providing information about my classroom and expectations so parents feel connected right away
*Introducing students to their new environment and meeting with them to reduce first day anxiety
*Organizing school supplies and registration paperwork




When those things are accomplished, everyone feels more comfortable and ready to embrace the new experience of the upcoming school year.  Here are just a few photos of some ways that I choose to welcome families and utilize branding in a successful open house:
Everyone wants to know where they're going at Open House.
Our school has hanging ceiling signs that are so helpful to
visitors.  I always add a personal touch by my door with my
own sign to welcome them.


Each student gets a cookie from the bakery at their table seat,
because you know, the way to a kid's heart... LOL! I also attach
a little poem that reinforces my brand for my classroom.
There is an information book for each family with my card
listing the different ways they can contact me, if needed.

Folder covers have been personalized using my fabulous downloaded
and editable stationary package from Schoolgirl Style and instructions
printed for all of the paperwork to be completed that night for registration.







Each student sits at a table with a bug mascot marking their
supply bin and name tag just like the other students at their table
 so they know which group they will be in for small group work
on the first day.
Honestly, we know that open house time can be nerve-racking for teachers. I am an introverted person by nature so it takes a great deal of energy and focus for me to be at my best this night. But I look at it this way... FIRST IMPRESSIONS ARE EVERYTHING. So I go all out. Spend money on the treats.  Painstakingly organize the bins with pictures for new school supplies. Go out of my way to make small talk with perfect strangers. Spell out the expectations and inform about things that make my class unique. I've learned that when I go the extra mile at the beginning of the year to make students and their families feel welcome and informed, there is a greater chance that the rest of the year will go more smoothly than it would if I didn't.  The fact of the matter is people fear the unknown. A new teacher and/or grade in school represent many "unknowns" for students and their families (especially when beginning preschool). So I do as much as I can at this time to take away the fear of the unknown. Fear is the opposite of trust.  Trust has to be in place for this teacher-student-parent connection to work. I will reap great benefits of anything I can do on my part to increase the trust of my students and their families from the get-go. And believe me- families are very appreciative of this.  We are all on the same team...helping kids!!!


I encourage you to set the stage and make it special! I find it very rewarding to ADAPT my classroom to accommodate new students, EXECUTE a welcoming open house, and  ENJOY the relationships that form as a result of putting in the extra effort to connect with my classroom families. May 2016-2017 be a great school year for all of us!


No comments:

Post a Comment