Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Your Reality Vs. The Highlight Reel

I love it when a plan comes together. (Thank you, John "Hannibal" Smith, for that timeless quote!) I love it when video tutorials come through and I end up achieving what I set out to learn/do. (Changed my oven heating element LIKE A BOSS, thanks to YouTube.) I love perusing Pinterest for my latest inspiration and finding the 'perfect' idea for all of my many interests. I have 122 boards. (Don't ask me how I have that many interests. I would need several lifetimes to incorporate them all.) It might considered overkill, but I can't bring myself to delete any of them.  Three of my boards pertain to hair.  You know...coloring, cutting, and styling because... well... HAIR! I usually make my theme party boards 'secret' ones so that guests will be surprised at the fan-freaking-tastic details that become part of the celebration. (See above 'plan comes together' reference.)

Every so often though, I get reminded that, as much as I love Pinterest, and YouTube videos, and Facebook, and Twitter {insert everything else taking up memory space on your smartphone here}, the apps/social media that I engage in to inform my decisions/plans/views are just short snippets of everyone's highlight reel and not the entire reality of life as it exists.

For example, have you ever looked at other people's family portraits and thought: "How come my family never looks like that when we get our picture taken?"  Answer: "Because they posted the one photo out of 357 takes that qualified as pin worthy".  (Pin worthy is a thing. I looked it up because I was hoping I just made up an awesome new phrase to be my blog's claim to fame, but someone already did, so never mind.) In my efforts to keep reality alive (I'm nothing if not authentic) and prove a point, I give to you "Edinger Boys and Cousins Photo Shoot 2017".

Disclaimer: I like to think that since I've been involved in family portraits with children since the year 2000, I have good advice to give them, i.e. "Pretend that you like each other and smile naturally". But we all know good advice is rarely followed the first time, right? When that little tip is ignored, I move on to bribes. "If everyone can just please smile and stay in position, we'll have ice cream when we're all done. Maybe the best smilemaker will get a lifetime supply of cookie dough!" By the end though I've unfortunately lost all semblance of patience and have resorted to threats. "You guys need to do this right or you're grounded for the rest of your life." If that doesn't work, I pull out the deadly Mom Guilt Trip (which I'm not proud of, but it has helped get us through several difficult photo shoots, so WHATEVER)... "I can't believe after everything I do for you, all of the sick nights I worried over you, all of the poopy diapers and pukey clothes I've changed for you... to say nothing of entering the VALLEY OF DEATH to give birth to you...the least you could do is let me have this ONE moment of cooperation, literally ONE photo where you all look at the camera at the same time. Consider it a dying wish, only without the death bed." (I might employ a bit of drama- it's all good).

The reality is there are lots of bloopers before the highlight reel. Good thing these boys and their cousins are so cute. Even the bloopers can be precious, if we don't take it too seriously.
The white shirt was supposed to contrast with the lollipop, not blend in. Blue chins for days.

In his defense, the instructions were "Hold your lollipop down  so it doesn't cover your face." Toddlers can be so literal sometimes.

Somehow "pose with your lollipop" translated to "pretend you are an alien visiting earth and you've never seen a lollipop before".

Aaaannnd we never did get a good one
with the candy props. This pic never
saw the light of the social media post until now.

For realz, I laugh out loud every time I see this one. The goal was to straddle the log and lean heads out alternating left and right directions so we could see each face. Logan didn't quite have his balance, but Henry is hanging on to him for dear life, because he's not going down like that! Everyone else is watching the action, too distracted to pose.


Never did get a good one of these either...
he gone!

Finally! Pin worthiness! Our standard went from 'let's have epic props/pose' to 'let's just get them together with eyes open and pleasant expressions'. #winning
I share this because as much as I love Pinterest perfection, I love real life more. I love my tribe. I love that we can laugh about a photo shoot gone sideways and still make memories out of it. I mean, the plan came together...eventually. Who says it has to be a perfectly executed Plan A for it to be a success? Not me! I've learned there are lots of other letters in the alphabet and sometimes we use up quite a few before we land on the one that works the best (my favorite picture was probably Plan W!) Creating your own joy in your reality leaves you satisfied in a way that comparing to others' highlight reels never will. You create the joy that makes your life better.

No comments:

Post a Comment